Adoptive Friends and Families of Greater Seattle empowers families through community.
AFFGS was formed in 1997 by several families built through adoption who recognized a need for more support and unity through the adoption process and beyond. We are a nonprofit support and educational group that includes both families touched by adoption and families waiting to adopt. We embrace all ethnic, racial, and socio-economic backgrounds as well as all types of adoptions.
What we do:
- Host social events for our membership nearly every month of the year. These include a picnic, pool party, camping trip, roller-skating, and more. See our Events page for more information.
- Facilitate monthly information and support sessions for families in process to adopt.
- Connect families with others who have recently adopted.
- Organize smaller social groups for families.
- Put on educational presentations or panels for parents and families.
Most events are free or reduced price for paid member families.
Meet the Board
Our all-volunteer Board is made up of adoptive parents. We meet on a monthly basis to conduct the business of the organization and plan social and educational events. All members interested in learning more or volunteering are invited to join our meetings.
Our next board meeting is on September 7 and will be online. Please email us for an invitation to the meeting.
Sue Meza, President
Lisa Bouchard, Secretary
Maura Madden, Treasurer
Kirsten Nesholm, Membership
Megan Harvill, SNAP Coordinator
Steve Mohundro, Communications
Dan Ferguson, AWAIT Co-coordinator
Lisa Beneson, Small Groups coordinator
Rebecca Peacock, Volunteer/Cultural/Outreach Events
Arvind Aiyar, Member-at-Large
Anne Papineau, Member-at-Large
Whitney Brown, AWAIT Co-coordinator
Sara Cole, PATS Co-coordinator